I will make this long story as short as possible :) ... we have been trying since last summer to expand our family. I went in to see my doctor on February 11 since we still were not pregnant and my periods were getting farther and farther apart. After an ultrasound, I was diagnosed with an atypical presentation of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). PCOS is actually a condition that I was born with but never knew I had until we started trying to conceive. I do not present with any major outward signs, but I do have an infrequent menstrual cycle, abnormal hormone levels, and the "textbook" ultrasound picture of PCOS, otherwise known as the "string of pearls" inside the ovaries (see picture here). Basically, this means that I am not ovulating, therefore will most likely not be able to get pregnant on my own. For more information, see here.
What does all of this mean for our family? To be honest, this started out as my worst nightmare. My entire life I have been waiting and wanting to be a mother, and when I was told that I had been assigned a fertility nurse, I was terrified. But with the support and help of my amazing OBGYN, Dr. Kristin Clark and our fertility nurses Sue and Amy, we have been given so much hope in knowing that there is very promising fertility treatment for PCOS. Treatment that can work quickly and give us the only result we are praying for... a baby. So I started a medication called Metformin, which is typically used to treat type II diabetes. It is used in PCOS to reduce insulin and androgen levels and promote normal ovarian function. (In short, when blood sugar is lower, less insulin is needed, so the body makes less insulin. And when insulin is lower, the body produces a lower level of androgens) Initially, I started on 1 pill per day and am gradually working up to 3 pills per day. I am tolerating it well so far, and I am thankful for minimal side effects at this point. The Metformin will (hopefully) give me a period, and following that I will start a medication called Clomid, to induce ovulation.
I would be lying if I said we aren't anxious about this, but we are very hopeful that everything will work out for us. We are thankful actually, that this is something that modern medicine can fix. We just need to be patient and remember that it will be in His timing, not ours. We really appreciate your prayers as we venture on this journey. We will keep you posted :)
Love,
Melissa & Scotty
What a great idea! We love you guys so much and are here for you if you need ANYTHING! I know that WHEN you two are blessed with a child, it will be more loved and cherished than ever by both you and your extended families. I can only speak for myself and say I seriously can't wait to spoil him/her...but I'm guessing that feeling is mutual! Lots of love and prayers coming your way along with the comfort of knowing that you have so much family here to support you! And any time you need a fix I have 4 I am willing to loan out any time :-)
ReplyDeleteAmber
We have been praying for you and we just know that everything is going to work out! Soon you will be blogging about our little bundle to be :) Cannot wait for that day. Much love to you both! Thank you so much for taking the time to include us on your journey! We love you :) Mom B
ReplyDelete