Sunday, March 3, 2013

Playing the Insurance Game

Last week brought more lab testing and a last minute procedure for us. We were going to wait on some of this testing for a little while to see how things went on the medications, but plans changed when Dr. Clark's office spoke with our insurance company. We have great insurance coverage on medical testing at this point, and we have been able to avoid billing anything under "infertility" so far. However, we were ready to start round one of Clomid this week...YAY!  But, it turns out that once your insurance company knows that you were prescribed a medication that is ONLY used for infertility, they will only pay 0-20% for any further testing or procedures... and these procedures are quite expensive!  So we opted for more testing while we are still covered instead of starting the Clomid this month. We were just disappointed because we felt like we were finally making progress and now we are kind of on hold for another month.  But, PATIENCE is the name of the game! :)

On Tuesday morning, I went in for lab work which continued to show that I have high Prolactin levels. Hyperprolactinaemia is associated with amenorrhea and infertility. Our nurse, Amy, told us an easy way to understand why this is a problem is that prolactin levels are increased when breastfeeding to produce breastmilk, and typically people do not get pregnant when breastfeeding. So, there is another possible contributing factor. This resulted in starting me on another medication called bromocriptine.
Tuesday afternoon we went in for a procedure called an HSG (Hysterosalpingography). This is a fluoroscopy (x-ray) of the uterus and fallopian tubes. The MD inserts a catheter into the uterus and injects dye that shows up on the x-ray. Then, they watch to see that the dye moves freely through the fallopian tubes. Blocks in the fallopian tubes can keep the egg from reaching the uterus or block the sperm from reaching the egg. During this procedure the MD flushes the tubes to remove any mucus or dead skin cells. Dr. Sree said that everything looked great and there was no obvious blockage. Let's just say that I am glad it is over, and they told me that was my first taste of what labor pains will feel like. Yikes, I am now quite terrified! haha

That is where we are at right now. Thank you so much for all the love and support! We truly have the best family and friends in the world. We love you,
Scotty and Melissa
xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Melissa and Scotty - Thanks so much for sharing this journey with all of us!! I only wish there was something I could do to make this easier or better for you. I'll just keep praying. I know God will soon bless you with a sweet baby that you and all of us can spoil. I love you guys so much!!! Shasta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa you are so optimistic even during lifes struggles. I admire your attitude so much! we're praying for you and Scotty and your soon to be little bundle of JOY! Love, Katie&Doug XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa and Scotty,

    I have been thinking about you often and know this journey has a meaning in God's eyes. We have been keeping you in our prayers ever since we first heard the news. Please keep blogging and let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do to help with the process. I can't say I am an expert on insurance, but have some friends in the industry :) - - if we need to understand ways to get this all covered.

    Lots of love!!

    Troy, Jan, Derek and Sam

    ReplyDelete