It’s a BOY!!
Remembering that day...
We had no idea that Sullivan would come early, as at my
38-week appointment on Wednesday I was still 1cm dilated and about 50% effaced.
Dr. Clark told us her guess would be close to my due date or later. I was still
relatively comfortable and had actually scheduled an induction for Feb. 7, as I
really thought I would go overdue. At my appointment on Wednesday I was not
feeling well at all due to a terrible head cold/congestion. My blood pressure
was elevated slightly, so Dr. Clark said not to worry about it as it was
probably related to me not feeling well and to call if I had sudden swelling,
headaches, etc. as those would be signs of pre-eclampsia. Thankfully I was feeling a lot better by
Friday, as it was my 3 day work weekend of 12 hour day shifts. I went to work
on Friday and had a busy shift and felt totally fine. In fact, I was telling
everyone at work that I would probably go overdue as I didn’t feel any
different yet! I came home at 8pm to a delicious taco dinner waiting for me
made by Scotty. I went to bed early since I had to be up for work early the
next morning.
At about midnight I woke with a really terrible headache.
It was so bad that I couldn’t see straight, was dizzy, and vomiting. I tried
taking Tylenol but it didn’t help at all so around 1:30am I called the nurse on
call who instructed me to go straight to the hospital. We grabbed our bags that
I thankfully just packed earlier in the week and headed to Theda Clark at 2am.
I was admitted with a blood pressure of 170/100 and eventually diagnosed with
pre-eclampsia. We tried to rest while we
waited for the doctor to come in the morning to tell us the plan. Dr. Clark was
on vacation, so Dr. Kercher came in at 8am to see me. Since my blood pressures
remained high, she told us we were not leaving the hospital without our baby! This
was a very emotional moment for both of us – we were so excited but also very
nervous!
I got my first round of Cervidil, a cervical softener, around
10am and didn’t make much progress, so I received another dose of Cervidil at
3pm. Around 6pm and still not much progress, we decided I would eat some dinner
and get a good night sleep and have a Pitocin induction in the morning.
(the last pregnant photo 1/25/14, 38 weeks 1 day)
However, plans changed quickly when I started really
feeling contractions. After about an hour of strong contractions, I decided it
was time for the beloved epidural, which saved my life J I was feeling significantly
better after getting that and immediately after laying down in bed after the
procedure, my water broke! Dr. Kercher checked me and I was at 10cm! No wonder
I was so uncomfortable! To make a long, exhausting story short, I was then
started on magnesium sulfate for my high blood pressures during delivery and
pushed for 3 hours… yes 3 HOURS. I felt like I could have died from exhaustion,n
but I would do it all over again, because at 1:19am, our little miracle was
born. Healthy and so alert! Sullivan Scott came into this world calm as can be
and Dr. Kercher laughed because he literally came out with his eyes wide open!
I will never forget the moment and the look on Scotty’s face when he laughed
and shouted, “IT’S A BOY!” We couldn’t have been more excited, and were so, so
in love with our precious baby BOY!
Here are our Sullivan’s first photos:
So happy you are finally here! Mama looks tired :)
Look at that face!
Sucking his thumb just like we saw him do on the ultrasounds.
Daddy and his baby BOY! He was so excited, though he claims that he "knew" it was a boy all along.
After a couple hours of sleep, we invited our families to
come meet our little honey! Everyone was so excited to meet and hold the newest
member of our family. We are so lucky to have so many people to love on our
sweet boy:
No comments:
Post a Comment